March 4, 2014

Day 30 [March 4th] Salsa, Spanish, Mandarin class

  Today is the 30th day we're here as exchange students. Time flies. I really want to spend more time traveling and meet people as many as possible. Some say romance might jump out of nowhere. Who knows?  I only get 5 months of life here. Going to cherish it and live as possible as I can. 

  Melissa and I volunteer to be the Mandarin teacher in ISC. Since I always dream to be a Mandarin teacher, it seems like a great chance for me. However, I really have no idea what to teach when I met a student called Jakub, who was an exchange student in Taiwan. Compares to what he said he knows, he is really good at Mandarin. Though he didn't mind much about the tone, his Mandarin sounded quite fine at most of the time. What else, he is really good at writing! That is really surprising since most of the foreign learners consider Chinese character extremely complicated and hard to remember. 


  All the time, I assume we will have a student who has no clue about Mandarin since we're teaching the "beginners" level. The original lesson plan was to teach them some daily conversation, ping in, numbers, dates, and time. But this guy showed up knowing almost all of them, kind of freaking me out. He has the same Mandarin book as we're using to teach. I really want to teach him something. But following the text book seems boring not only to me but also to him. Next time, if he's still the only student we have in class. Then we'll bring up some topic that will bring conflict and conversation to talk about in Chinese. That will be fun. 

  
  Surprisingly, there was Spanish of beginners after our class. Fantastic! I always want to learn Spanish here but the time doesn't fit. The teacher's name is Louis, from Mexico. El es Louis! El tiene veintedos. It was his first time teaching Spanish. But he's really good. It's like learning Spanish in NTUST, but a different teacher. I felt the passion again when learning Spanish. The passion about learning, about knowing another language. Though he mentioned little culture related things, I can feel the passion and culture of Spain or Latin floating in air. Czech class follows, but we're already there for almost 4 hours. It will be a little bit overwhelming for us. Still, will like to give it a try next time with dinner in my bag ;)

  At night, we went to Salsa class. I LOVE Salsa, and perhaps other social dance as well. It's amazing to swing with the music. Plus, knowing people and chat with them while dancing is an extra point! This is my second time doing Salsa. The first time was in a Spanish class only for 30 minutes.  I met new friends and my Spanish teacher! That's really tons of fun :) Going to enjoy it A L-O-T!